Yes, I do drink protein shakes occasionally, though I'm not the biggest fan of them. I'd rather have dessert instead! So, one solution is these protein balls. They taste a bit like cookie dough and have that chocolate/sweet element I'm so fond of, plus they are easy to mix up and will keep in the freezer for months. And, when I need an extra hit of protein, I can just grab one of these and be on my way.
I usually get 12 to 16 protein balls from one batch of dough. To make it easier, use a food disher/scoop if you have one rather than rolling by hand. You will want to store these in either the fridge or the freezer as they remain fairly soft at room temperature.
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Balls
Time: 10 minutes + chilling
Yield: approx 12 to 16 protein balls
Adapted from: Tiffiani Bachus, found on PopSugar
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 3 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- Chia seeds, toasted coconut flakes, or chopped dried fruit, if desired*
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined. Roll or scoop into balls. Place on wax or parchment paper lined cookie sheet and refrigerate or freeze until firm.
- Store in an airtight container. If frozen, allow to soften slightly before serving.
*When I add chia seeds, I just throw a teaspoon or so into the dough. I've also experimented with adding a tablespoon or two of chopped dried cherries or cranberries or toasted coconut. You can add about anything that strikes your fancy; if the dough gets too thick, add additional peanut butter and/or honey.