Want to bake a better cupcake? Keep these tips in mind:
- If your recipe calls for butter, make sure it's at room temperature.
- Measure flour by spooning it into a measuring cup and then leveling with a knife. Don't pack the flour!
- Check the expiration dates on your baking soda and baking powder. You can test for freshness by adding a pinch of either to a little bit of vinegar; it should bubble.
- Use parchment or foil nonstick liners for batters with mix-ins like chocolate chips - the chips can stick to paper liners.
- Use an ice cream scoop to evenly measure batter into the muffin cups.
- Don't leave cupcakes in the pan to cool; remove them to a wire rack. Leaving them in the pans may cause them to dry out faster.
P.S. Several of these tips are important when baking cakes, too!