Advance Notice

No new orders are currently being scheduled.

02 October 2017

Chevron: Yay! Nay?

I think I may have mentioned it before, but I can't wait for the chevron trend to die.  I have a love/massive dislike (hate is such a strong word) relationship with the pattern.  I love the way it looks, but hate applying it to cakes.  Sooo many angles! But, maybe I just need more practice?

P9300010_cew

Did you notice the cupcakes in the first photo?  They look pretty unassuming, right?  Well, these harbored a little secret inside - raspberry filling!

IMG_3590_ew

A little monster themed 1st birthday cake with, yes, chevron on the second tier.  Yay!

P9150014_cew

Each little monster (twins!) even got his own monster smash cake.

P9150025_cew

And, cookies to match.

P9160031_cew

I have to admit I loved the theme idea for this party - not many parents would admit to, much less celebrate, their kiddos occasionally being "little monsters."  Clever, and fun, idea!

My niece requested Harry Potter-esque cupcakes for her birthday this year.  Those sorting hats, they are made from caramels!  And, of course, red, green, yellow, and blue sprinkles to represent each of the houses.

P9140007_ew

Another trend I'm on the fence about - split personality wedding cakes.  They make a striking statement, but sometimes it comes across as "we just couldn't make up our minds."  They are fun to make though and it's not my party, so each their own.  The camo on this one was achieved by wrapping the cake with edible images; the scroll work was all buttercream with fondant draping.

P9090042_cew

And, for the last of the September goodies - let's pay a visit to a street most everyone probably knows - Sesame!

P9080024_cew

P9080016_cew

P9080010_cew

Decorator's note:  if using royal icing eyes on red (or other dark colored) buttercream, be prepared for the eyes to absorb color.  Elmo looked like he had had a very long night or terrible allergies after they cupcakes were decorated and set for a few hours.  Luckily, I had extra eyes available.

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment