A drafty kitchen makes it difficult to find a good place to allow bread dough to rise, since yeast doughs rise best when it's between 75 and 85 degrees. Try one of these places:
- A gas oven turned off with the door closed - the pilot light provides a little extra heat.
- An electric oven (turned off) with the light turned on and the door shut.
- Inside the microwave with the door closed.
- On top of the fridge - the compressor tends to give off heat.
- Near a radiator or space heater, but not directly on top.
One other tip, you can add extra heat to a closed space by putting a saucepan of steaming water next to the dough.