Advance Notice

No new orders are currently being scheduled.

13 September 2014

Snickerdoodle Blondies

I love snickerdoodle cookies.  But, for some reason I don't make them very often...it's a shame really.  After all, how can that love be true if I'm more often than not whipping up chocolate chip cookies?  The snickerdoodles probably think I'm cheating on them; maybe that's why they don't appear in my kitchen very often...

I know what you're thinking - the title says "blondies" which are not cookies at all, so why is she telling me about cookies?  Well, I thought you might enjoy a little background on what drew me to try this recipe out.  But, umm, how about we just move on to the recipe, eh?


Oh...wait, my feelings about it first!  It ain't no snickerdoodle cookie, but still a yummy sweet treat.  Really the only thing that connects these to the cookie is the dusting of cinnamon and sugar on top; they have a different flavor profile, are much thicker and chewier, plus no hint of crunch as you bite through the top.  I like my snickerdoodle cookies just slight crunchy on the edges/crust with a soft center...yum!

And, did I mention, these are sweet?  I have a sweet tooth (surprising, I know) and these were on the sweeter side for me - just a little dab will do ya.  But, bonus, that means you can cut smaller pieces and make them last longer!

Snickerdoodle Blondies
Printable Recipe
Time: 30 minutes
Yield:  approx 24 blondies
Adapted from:  Lovin' From the Oven

P8240040_ew


Ingredients:

For the bars:
  • 2 2/3 cups AP Flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract (use the real stuff, not imitation!)
For the topping:
  • 4 to 6 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 4 to 6 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp Turbinado sugar (optional)
Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.  Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.  Combine the flour, baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a small bowl.  Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar until smooth and well combined.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.  Add the vanilla, beat until smooth.
  3. Stir in the flour mixture until well blended.  Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
  4. For the topping:  combine the granulated sugar, cinnamon, and Turbinado sugar in a small bowl.  Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the top of the batter.
  5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until surface springs back when gently pressed and edges are lightly browned.  Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment