Bacon & Caramelized Onion Asparagus
Adapted from Kraft Foods
Yield: 6 servings
- 4 slices ready-to-eat bacon OR 4 Tbsp. bacon bits
- 1.5 lbs fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup ranch dressing
- Warm bacon in a large skillet, until slightly crisp. Remove bacon from the skillet; place on paper towels to drain. Discard any drippings, but do not wash the skillet.
- Place the trimmed asparagus in a microwavable casserole dish. Add the water. Microwave on High 4 to 5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- While the asparagus is microwaving, add the onions to the skillet; cook and stir approximately 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the ranch dressing.
- Drain asparagus; top with the ranch dressing sauce and bacon. Serve warm.
Tip for Trimming Fresh Asparagus:
Instead of trimming with a knife, simply bend the spear near the bottom end. The asparagus will naturally snap off at the right point, effectively removing the tough, "woody" portion of the stalk.