That's not to say that all is perfect or that the fight is settled, there is still some tweaking to do in order to get the cleanest cuts possible; but I was pleased with my first usable result after hours and days of trying to crack the Silhouette's secret to cutting gumpaste and fondant. When time permits I'm going to try more intricate designs, and maybe even give cutting icing sheets a whirl.
Here's the cake that received the trappings of my win in the Silhouette v. C fight, Round 73.
The cake is buttercream with exception of the facial details and bow. They are done in either fondant or gumpaste. And the inscription at the bottom? That is what I cut with the Silhouette. Here's a close up of some of the letters:
See what I mean about needing to do a little adjustment here and there? There's a few rough edges where the cutter didn't make a clean cut...but hopefully a couple of minutes tinkering and that will be solved. Even with the rough edges, using the Silhouette still yielded a prettier result, in this instance, than hand cutting would have, and in a much smaller time frame. I think I'm going to like it...
The Mrs. Mouse cake also included matching cupcakes. The bows were made using a mold, and the monograms were done with - you guessed it - the Silhouette cutter.
I also had one other cake order this past week, and decided to try my hand at making Gerbera daisies for the first time. The end results were good, but not spectacular enough for my inner perfectionist, so I made some mental notes on what to change and try differently next time.
Speaking of doing things differently, keep an eye out for some changes to the blog in the coming weeks - I've got a few little projects in the works that I can't wait to share with you! One of these projects is being handled by an amazingly talented artist that I know, so be sure to check back soon!