Advance Notice

No new orders are currently being scheduled.

06 March 2013

Grandma's German Chocolate Cake

Nope, I'm not sharing a recipe.  My apologies.  Rather I'm sharing photos of this German Chocolate cake I created last week.

P3010004_cew

It was just a small cake - only served about 12 - but I was nervous about how it would be received.  See, it was for a friend's grandmother who was celebrating a significant birthday, and who loves German Chocolate cake, yet hadn't had a homemade one in about 10 years.

My concerns:
#1:  This is a grandma who knows how to cook and bake.  My cakes are yummy, but we all know that grandma's (or mom's) cooking is for some reason ten times better than our own.  Would it live up to her standards?
#2:  How best to decorate the cake, yet still keep it traditional?  I didn't want to stray too far from the "norm" since it'd been 10 years...such difficulty.  (German Chocolate cakes always present and interesting decorating challenge for me.  Am I the only one who experiences this?)
#3:  There would be another cake at the party.  Would my cake stand up well against the other, differently flavored, cake?

And, the results:
#1:  It was reported that grandma loved the cake.  So much so, she partook of two pieces.  Woo!
#2:  You can see how that turned out from the photo above - simple, yet sticking to the traditional chocolate and coconut pecan icings.
#3:  I'm happy to report, my cake held its own!  Yay!

And, for the record - I'm always concerned about how my cakes will be received and that they will live up to the client's standards.

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment