Avocados are the darlings of the produce world right now. A few things to keep in mind when buying and using these tasty fruits:
- Avoid avocados with cuts, dents, or soft patches. If it feels firm, it will ripen in two to five days. If it's uniformly soft, eat the same day.
- Keep avocados at room temperature until ripe, then store in the refrigerator. You can speed up ripening by placing them in a bag with bananas - the ethylene gas production will stimulate the ripening process.
- High heat destroys the healthy compounds in the avocado and can potentially leave a bitter taste, so stick to cold prep or use only low heat sparingly.
- You can substitute avocado in equal amounts for fats such as butter, margarine, or sour cream.
- Wrap unused avocado in plastic wrap and refrigerate; use within 1 to 2 days.