Advance Notice

No new orders are currently being scheduled.

21 July 2011

A Bedtime Story?

It has been fairly quiet in my caking realm the past few days.  And I have to say, I'm somewhat glad for it as it has given me time to prepare my game plan for the upcoming weeks.  You'll have to stay tuned to find out why I'm planning sooo far in advance, though. *wink, wink*

As for the cakes this week...here they are!

P7150688_cew

I'm sure you can guess which story this cake is based on...perhaps the characters are a good gimmee hint.  (No, I didn't make them.)  I've seen several versions of this cake and have always thought it would be fun to create, so I'm pleased I finally got to try my hand at it.  The footboard and headboard are made from thickly rolled gumpaste; they were incredibly heavy, so the cake had to be assembled on site in order to help prevent breakage.  The gumpaste was also embossed with a wood grain pattern to make it appear more realistic (though it is rather hard to tell from the photo, my apologies for the quality, but I ran out of daylight about 6 hours prior to taking it...).

P7150668_cew

I tried out a different technique on this cake to try to give the pickup truck a bit of a raised "3D" look.  It worked fairly well, but would probably translate better on a more intricate design - though cutting out lots of tiny pieces multiple times doesn't sound terribly appealing to me.  Good thing I order a new cake decorating toy earlier this week, hopefully it will help cut down on the cutting time.  I'll let you know how it works out...  The keys and driver's license were both made from gumpaste (translation - entirely edible decorations) and the license was hand drawn by yours truly.

Til next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment