I would recommend using either semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips in this recipe, or if you're feeling wild and woolly, maybe a combination of the two. Milk chocolate would likely be much too sweet for most, including yours truly. If you choose to omit the pecans (my preferred method) don't be afraid to throw in a couple of extra handfuls of chocolate chips. And for goodness sake, don't try substituting margarine for the butter in this recipe! Butter, real butter, is good and your friend when baking!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
Adapted slightly from Nestle
Yield: One 9-inch pie
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust (homemade or store bought)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) real butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream, for serving, optional
- Chocolate sauce or caramel sauce, for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Beat eggs in a large mixer bowl on high speed until foamy. Beat in flour, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in butter and vanilla extract. Stir in morsels and pecans, if using. Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between the edge and center comes out clean. Do not over bake! Cool on a wire rack or serve slightly warmed with ice cream or whipped cream and chocolate or caramel sauce, if desired.