Advance Notice

No new orders are currently being scheduled.

21 March 2012

All Aboard!

Chugga, chugga, choo choo!

Welcome to the train station, we've got several friendly engines on hand today to help deliver birthday wishes!

P3160492_cew

And, they are edible train engines to boot, so no need to try to find a place to store them after the party.  This cake was covered in buttercream with the engines, sun, name, and "2" done in gumpaste.  Oh, and the railroad tracks, too!  You can't see them very well in the photo, but they were a big hit and added a little bit of extra "oomph" to the design.

And, since I didn't have a fully booked schedule last weekend (such a rarity!), I tried my hand at making a burnt sugar cake.

Yeah...you read that correctly.  Burnt.  Sugar.  Cake.

You're wondering how I just randomly decided to make this kind of cake.  Let me walk you through it:
  1. I needed burnt sugar flavoring syrup for a completely unrelated baking project.  Nowhere in my small town would carry such a random speciality ingredient, so...to the Inter Web!
  2. I searched online for the stuff, only to decide I wasn't going to pay the outrageous prices for the product AND shipping, so I would figure out a way to make my own.
  3. I began searching for recipes...and nearly everything was tied to Burnt Sugar Cake.
  4. Let's make Burnt Sugar Syrup and try a Burnt Sugar Cake too!
See, not so hard to follow, right?  Besides, I couldn't live with the notion that I could be missing out on some fabulous, earth shattering baked good that could potentially change my life!  (This according to many reviews I read on several different, but similar recipes.  No worries, it didn't.)

So, here's the cake:

P3170507_cew

Looks pretty good!  But...the icing was a nightmare; more like a glaze than an frosting.  (If you look closely you can see where it has slid off the cake and pooled on the cake stand. *sigh*)  And, if I were to ever make this cake again, the icing would undergo a major overhaul!  But...to be honest...I'm not sure I'll ever make this cake again.  It had a nice texture, baked up well, etc., etc., but the overall flavor was just not my cup of tea.  Maybe it's an acquired taste...

Oh, well!  Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

No comments:

Post a Comment