Advance Notice

No new orders are currently being scheduled.

01 December 2012

Happy Fall Ya'll

Yes, I realize it's the 1st of December.  And you, along with everyone else including yours truly, are dreaming of mountains of snow; brisk, cold days; and surviving the holidays.  But...it's still technically fall.  I promise!  Winter doesn't officially begin until December 21st.  That's also, coincidentally, the date of the rumored Mayan Apocalypse, but I'm erring on the side of caution and preparing for Christmas anyway.

But, since it's still fall, I figured I'd share some very autumnal treats with you from the last few weeks.  (Yep, still playing catch-up, but getting better all the time!)  Oh, and one less than appetizing photo near the end of the post, just to keep things interesting around here.

For instance, these pretty leaf topped cupcakes.  Pumpkin spice with caramel buttercream; a perfect fall flavor combination.

PB120748_ew

Squirrels, pumpkins, acorns, and leaves...oh, my.  And, for the record, squirrel cookies are more difficult to decorate than I imagined they'd be, but still super cute and a fun addition to my cutter collection.

PB120755_w

And, a basket full of fallen leaves and mini pumpkins.

PB210827_cew

Now that I've showed you the pretty stuff, would you like to see something ugly?  It's not mean, just ugly - a burnt, baked-on, harder to remove than tar kind of ugly; it's the aftermath of a dessert I made for Thanksgiving.


Yes, that is one of my baking sheets.  Needless to say, the dessert that caused this will not be gracing my kitchen again.  Honestly, if the clean-up is going to take hours, then the recipe had better yield phenomenal results.  Great or amazing results will not cut-it when this is part of the package...only phenomenal will do.  And, this pastry didn't cut it.

What was it?  The culprit was a classic French apple tart (on the right in the line-up below).  I also made a version with a salted caramel glaze rather than the traditional apricot/rum.  That version is on the left; it played a little nicer and tasted better, but I still expected so much more from puff pastry, apples, sugar, and butter.  How could it have gone so wrong? *sob*

PB220840_cew

Next time, I'll do better justice to the ingredients.  Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment